Source: The Picky Palate, Jenny
Another wonderful recipe made in my wonderful cast iron pan! All the Chicken Parmesan-y goodness, but topped with pie crust! Amazing! If there is one food I love more than almost any other, its pie. Both Corey and I went back for seconds, and I very rarely have seconds.
And, it’s so easy!
1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Shortening (chilled)
4 tbsp Butter or Margarine (chilled)
5 tbsp Ice Water
28 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
3 cups cooked, shredded Chicken (you could use rotisserie)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 Egg White
1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tbsp shredded Parmesan Cheese
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt together.
2. Cut butter into 1/4 inch slices. Using a pastry blender, cut the chilled shortening and butter into the flour and salt mixture until it forms coarse crumbs. The crumbs should resemble tiny split peas.
3. Sprinkle the flour and fat mixture with 3 tbsp of ice water. Gently mix, using a fork. If the crust seems dry, add more water, one tablespoon at a time. Only add enough water to make the dough hold together when a small piece is pinched between the fingers. Mix dough gently and quickly. Gather dough to form a ball, but do not overwork it.
4. Flatten the dough into a 4 to 6 inch disk and place on a cool, floured surface. Starting in the center, roll the crust outward. After every couple of rolls, rotate the rolling angle about 45° until you have rolled all around the crust. Always start rolling from the middle.
5. Check crust frequently to see if it is sticking to the surface. If it begins to stick, dust lightly with flour. Do not use any more flour than necessary. Roll crust until it is approximately 1/8 inch thick and 2 inches larger in diameter than an inverted pie pan.
6. Transfer the crust by partially rolling the crust around the rolling pin and gently lifting the crust onto a large plate or baking sheet. Be careful to center it over the plate without stretching the dough. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Pour tomatoes into 9 inch cast iron skillet. Season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
3. Add chicken and gently stir to incorporate into sauce.
4. Top with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
5. Carefully lift pie crust off of plate and lay over chicken and cheese, pressing the edges around the skillet, or tuck it inside the skillet if you desire.
6. Whisk egg white with 1 tsp water and brush a light coat over crust. Top evenly with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 – 8 servings.